I decided to make this page to help all the new comers get started. I’m not an expert and this is only my opinion but this is what I did to gain followers and to get my blog noticed.
Basic Tumblr Tips
- Participate in promos but only of blogs similar to yours (it makes your chances of being promoted much higher).
- Be nice to both your followers AND the blogs you follow
- Ask blogs to check out your blog (do not ask them to follow you because it’s rude!). Always ask nicely and make sure you follow them. Even if they don’t follow you back at least your blog is getting noticed.
- Always read someone’s faq BEFORE you ask questions.
- Be active!
- Never self promote on pictures or steal the credit away from other blogs. People won’t like you very much if you do.
- Never message someone asking to be promoted. It’s rude!
- Join groups if you can! It’s a great way to meet new people and they can help you with voting, reaching goals and gaining followers!
How to improve your blog’s appearance:
- Have a simple theme. Make sure it’s easy for others to navigate through.
- Keep a clean background. Having a simple black or white background lets your posts stand out.
- Have a nice, simple banner that doesn’t overpower your blog.
- Find the type of posts you like and stick to it. Blogs with all sorts of different posts end up looking messy.
- Beware of promos like “want to gain 500 followers in 5 minutes? Click here and click yes!” Those are just blogs trying to get more followers (even if the source says staff!). THERE IS NO GLITCH THAT WILL GAIN YOU 200+ FOLLOWERS INSTANTLY!!!
- Tumblrplug doesn’t really work unless you promote yourself like crazy.
- Most of the time celeb urls are fake (there are exceptions!). So don’t fall for that.
Always remember Tumblr isn’t about gaining followers, but having interaction with other blogs improves your experience. I hope this helps and if you have any question you know where my ask box is :)